Why Should I be Baptized?
1. Because Christ is my example
a) Matthew 3:13-17 – I identify with Him
b) 1 Peter 2:21 – Leaving us an example that we should follow in His footsteps.
2. Because Christ gave His command
a) Matthew 28:19-20 – I desire to obey Him in doing this.
When Should I Be Baptized?
1. When I have repented of my sin and received Jesus as my Saviour. This is the first step before water baptism can be a significant experience. It is a testimony that Christ has changed my life.
a) Matthew 3:5-9
b) Acts 2:37-38
c) Acts 8:36-38
2. As soon after my decision to follow Jesus as I have opportunity.
a) Acts 2:41
b) Acts 9:17-18
How Should I Be Baptized?
1. The most generally accepted meaning of the word “baptize” is “to immerse”.
2. Jesus was baptized by immersion. Matthew 3:16
3. Immersion most clearly symbolizes the death of the old life and the beginning of the new. Romans 6:3-4
By Whose Authority Should I Be Baptized? Matthew 28:19-20
1. In the name of the Father – He was the One who voiced His approval at His Son’s baptism. Matthew 3:17
2. In the name of the Son – He is the One whose sacrifice for our sins made our new life possible. Matthew 1:21
3. In the name of the Holy Spirit – He is the One whose power brings the work of regeneration and renewing in us. Titus 3:5
What Should Baptism Mean To Me?
1. Baptism is not:
a) A conversion experience
b) The way of salvation
c) My ticket to heaven
2. Baptism is:
a) A step of faith – 1 Corinthians 15:1-4
In baptism I am expressing my faith in Christ: “I believe you died for me. I believe you have saved me from my sins.” We are seeking God’s approval, not man’s. Jesus received His Father’s approval when He was baptized in water.
b) A step of obedience – John 14:15
By obeying Christ’s command I am submitting to His authority and recognizing His right to be Lord of my life.
c) A step of commitment – Mark 8:34; Matthew 10:32
In baptism I am publicly saying that I have made my choice; that my life from this day forward is committed to Jesus Christ.
d) A public testimony
I have said “yes” to Christ and “no” to sin and the devil. I have decided to follow Jesus.
What Will Baptism Do For Me?
1. Water baptism will not:
a) Cleanse me from sin.
b) Physically make me a new person.
c) Give me eternal life.
2. Water baptism will:
a) Romans 6: 6-11: Identify me with Christ in His death and resurrection. I am saying, in effect, “I am crucified with Christ…”
b) Jude 24-25: Seal me. Often after important victories in the lives of His people, God commanded them to erect memorial stones so they might never forget what God had done for them. In the same way, the day of your water baptism can be a memorial before God, sealing your commitment to Jesus Christ until the day of His return!
c) Galatians 3:27-28: Affirm that I am united with God’s family. “I am a part. I no longer stand alone.” You recognize that no one can live a Christian life alone. You are part of God’s family and are united in faith with my brothers and sisters Christ,
I AM GETTING BAPTIZED. WHAT DO I NEED TO KNOW?
1. Please be at the church no later than 10:00am.
2. Please bring the following items:
Clothes to wear in the tank. You will be wearing these clothes before hand on the stage. We don’t have gowns
Plastic bag to put wet clothes in
Clothing to wear afterwards
Hairdryer (optional) or a shower cap to protect your hair
3· Come prepared with answers to these questions:
Why did you decide to get baptized?
Tell us something Jesus has done for you?
These will be asked on the stage before you walk up to the tank